Fresh fruits and vegetables are a crucial part of the human diet. These foods are dense in nutrients and vitamins that are essential to health. It is important to know how to safely handle produce to help ensure that harmful bacteria and viruses, such as E. coli and salmonella, do not enter the body and cause foodborne illness (also known as food poisoning).
Harmful bacteria that may be in the soil or water where produce grows can touch fruits and vegetables and contaminate them. Fresh produce may also become contaminated after it is harvested, such as during storage or preparation. Farmers have a responsibility to get un-contaminated food to consumers, but from there, it is important for consumers to follow food safety guidelines.
It is important to:
- Choose fruit that isn’t bruised or damaged, and is on ice
- Refrigerate foods that need refrigeration (ask the produce clerk)
- Separate produce from meat during storage, and food prep
- Wash hands before preparing food
- Wash produce under running water
- Scrub firm produce, such as melons and cucumbers, with a clean produce brush.
- Place produce on clean paper towels to dry
To reduce the risk of food poisoning, consider using a food wash. CitroBio Fresh Food Wash is available for home use. CitroBio is a citrus extract wash for Seafood, Meat, Poultry, Cheese and Produce. It extends shelf life and has proven effectiveness against E. Coli, Salmonella and Listeria, among other pathogens. It does not change color or flavor but gives a better quality and appearance, no rinsing is necessary. Our ingredients are FDA/GRAS approved (Generally Recognized As Safe). CitroBio has been professionally tested, is completely biodegradable and soluble in water, oils and waxes.